Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Open Channel D!

Sorry for the late notice, but for any readers of The Flaming Nose who still thrill to the 1960s adventures of Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin, Turner Classic Movies is running a day of the compilation movies made from episodes of the iconic TV spy series The Man from U.N.C.L.E. all day today.

I count myself in as a still-loyal U.N.C.L.E. agent after all these years. When I was a kid--and the show came on when I was eleven--this was IT, I mean, I LOVED this show. Cool, action-packed, intelligent, jazzy, funny, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. had everything. I was a Kuryakin gal, preferring the icy blond intellect of David McCallum's character over the more James Bond-ish Solo of Robert Vaughn, but as a pair they were unbeatable.
I used to program U.N.C.L.E. when I was at TNT, and it has recently been airing on the American Life TV channel but seems to be off the regular schedule now. The good news is that it seems to be coming out on DVD soon, which is great news for U.N.C.L.E.-starved baby boomers!

There is a wonderful website The Fans from U.N.C.L.E. which you should check out, and another fan named Lisa has a site full of great screen captures here. It's also worth mentioning that U.N.C.L.E. had some of the greatest music scores ever heard on a TV series, with the work of such noted composers as Jerry Goldsmith (who wrote the unforgettable theme), Lalo Schifrin, Nelson Riddle, Morton Stevens, Gerald Fried and other names who will be familiar to you if you're an aficionado of classic TV music. Much of the music has been re-released on CD and here a link to a page with loads of terrific sound samples.

Hope you catch some of the movies on TCM today! I'm off to the Del Floria Tailor Shop for my latest mission. (True U.N.C.L.E. fans will understand...!).

1 comment:

Jane said...

Dear Ms. Lisoid. Once again we are lock step in our admiration for a magnificent TV memory. I too recall (although I think it was at the even more impressionable age of 9) the magnificence of Ilya. His understated, cool and emotionless calm may have been a precient video precursor to the darker, even more intelligent and unfathomable Spock on Star Trek. Or something like that. All roads lead either to (in the case of Ilya) or retreat back (in the case of Dexter) to Spock. I will now take bids from various universities who would like me to conduct a Media Studies course on this topic.