Friday, July 31, 2009

Our Mad Men World: Hortense the Neighbor


Betty Draper is surprised when her next-door neighbor makes an unexpected visit. The usually calm Hortense is visibly inebriated, and insists on trying to teach Betty the samba, tipsily demonstrating the intricate steps on the squeaky linoleum floor. All Mrs. Draper can do is try to offer her some coffee, but Hortense is having none of it, and soon wanders back to her own house, muttering something about wanting to watch Virginia Graham on TV. Betty is disturbed but intrigued, and wonders if Don might enjoy a little samba lesson tonight after dinner...

3 comments:

Jane said...

The Virgina Graham show....I remember it as if in a dream. She had big blond hair and an endless cup of coffee. I wanna go back to the 60's Auntie Em!!!

Lisa said...

That's Virginia Graham, all right! So glad you remembered her! I wouldn't mind going back to the '60s for a little while...but I don't want to go back to junior high school! But I'd sure want to watch TV there!

Lisa said...

Actually I goofed and didn't check my title beforehand well enough. In the early '60s Graham's show was called "Girl Talk" -- so I changed the post just a little!