Thursday, March 26, 2009

Keeping An Eye on Adam: AI Frontrunner

I predicted several weeks ago that Adam Lambert would be the one to beat in this year's American Idol contest and last night's "Motown" showcase has solidified my decision. In a night that was almost overshadowed by the immense star power and historical significance of Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson, Adam still managed to keep the spot light shining brighter on himself than anyone else on the stage.

This guy is mesmerizing. He has the looks, the confidence and the camera absolutely loves him. Adam is as home on the stage as most of us are on our living room sofas wearing a Sunggie blanket and bunny slippers . Best of all, he can sing like an angel, which was proved beyond any doubt last night with his almost ethereal rendition of Smokey's "Tracks of My Tears". Frankly, I liked it better than the original. And it earned him a standing O from most of the folks in the audience, including the great Berry Gordy.

He's the one to watch. The rest of the contestants are likable, but Adam is a star. I also applaud his chameleon appearance switch last night; from indie rocker to Vegas lounge lizard. Weird, but it worked wonderfully for me. Check it out below and judge for yourself.

3 comments:

amy said...

You go girl. Spot on! As we have all said ad nauseum, Adam is in a league of his own. I will go as far as to say that I think he's the MOST original and talented Idol contestant to date (sorry, Scott).

Scott said...

Sorry, with David Cook it's game over, Idol found. Adam is flashy and very seasoned, but David is from the heart and never "tries" to put it on. It just happens. He just is. No comparison.

Scott said...

Also, as much as I want to, I really don't love Adam's voice! It's powerful, it's unique, it's pitch perfect, but that high register he sings in just doesn't do it for me. David has a 15 step, 2 1/2 octave range that goes from high baritone to mid-tenor to full chest falsetto. He can go "gravely" or "smoothe." And it generates alpha waves in my brain. Not so with Adam. He should win - he's clearly the most talented and seasoned. His stage presence is amazing. He's seems like a great guy and I would LOVE an out, gay winner. But he's not David Cook. :)