Saturday, May 14, 2011

OLYMPIA!


I was just trolling through Facebook today and someone reminded me of one of my cherished childhood TV memories. On many Sunday mornings, I would wake up early at my late grandmother's house, and greet her as she was drinking coffee. Then I would pad my way into the den, turn on her big, fancy console TV, and watch one of my favorite block of cartoons. Locally broadcast on Atlanta's NBC affiliate, WSB, this show sported toons mostly from the 60s--Davey and Goliath and Deputy Dawg, I remember. But also: The Mighty Hercules! And so I would fix myself a glass of YaYa's incomparable sweet tea, and she would get to making me two equally incomparable grilled ham-and-cheese sandwiches, and I would settle down. I always looked forward to Hercules episodes because they were as close to superhero comics as I could stand. Plus, I liked (most) singing along with the theme, performed with gusto by Johnny Nash (who'd have a #1 hit in the early 70s with "I Can See Clearly Now"):


Hercules, hero of song and story.
Hercules, winner of ancient glory.
Fighting for the right,
Fighting with his might,
With the strength of ten, ordinary men.

Hercules, people are safe when near him.
Hercules, only the evil fear him.
Softness in his eyes,
Iron in his thighs,
(hahahahaha!)
Virtue in his heart,
Fire in every part,
Of the Mighty Hercules.


And always, at the end:

Join us at his side,
Standing there with pride,
Victory is here,
Raise a mighty cheer,
At the sight of Hercules.


Best theme ever. When I saw this today, on YouTube, it was like Proust biting into his madeleines, I flashed back so hard. And I even remember watching this particular episode, with Hercules battling the evil Daedalus and his Medusa-on-a-stick (which emits that great 60s-flavored electronic-ray sound). I always thought Helena was hot, if dumb, and that pre-teen centaur Newt was likably silly. And strangely, my feelings about Hercules were rather neutral. Truth be told, I found Daedalus more appealing--something in me felt sorry for this poor soul as he would inevitably get bashed up by Hercules before the closing credits. But the episodes were over before they began, so I had little time to ponder this as a kid. All I knew was that I loved this chintzy but somehow stirring cartoon. Anyway, I thought I'd share this little episode with you Nosers. I know we like us some Medusa over in this neck of the Web.

4 comments:

Dean Treadway said...

I see you've already covered this on the NOSE, Lisa. See, this is why you and I are friends!

Lisa said...

You know it! I always loved Hercules and especially for his stalwart goodness, like George Reeves as Superman. I also liked Daedalus, of course...and that lady witch. I've never been the Helena type, unfortunately -- or fortunately! :-)

Glad you grew up loving him, too! My sisters and I used to run off the diving board of the pool yelling "Olympia!" -- with our arms pointing skyward -- hoping that we'd be able to fly, but it never happened, alas!

Jane said...

Dean, I'm pretty darn sure this is the first time that Proust has been referenced in a Flaming Nose post. I love it! So glad you are contributing to our little TV love-fest. Your writing is superb. And thanks for this blast from the past. I had forgotten all about Deputy Dawg. Bring us some more awesome Boomer Nose-Talgia please!

Dean Treadway said...

Ahahhaha! Yep. Good ol' Proust. I'll keep on trying to bring you guys some good stuff. I'm currently cooking up a brand new entry, about my new favorite TV show. It's gonna be a surprise, I think, for sure.

So you were expecting the lightning to flash and everything, Lisa? And without a big ol' H ring? O the folly of youth...