Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Waiting for Adam: American Idol Season 8

Adam Lambert American Idol Mad World Tribute


We predicted (14 weeks ago), we confirmed (6 weeks ago) and we still believe (tonight). Adam Lambert is one of the most qualified and least typical of any of the American Idol contestants that have come before in this top rated Fox Television program's 8 season history. He can sing anything and his range is triple octave. He has enormous stage presence. He is handsome, and personable and humble and (OMG) even nice. He is unflappable in the face of countless AI judge insults and inanities. He has weathered (in this day and age...puleeze!) a ridiculous tabloid tsunami of snipes and hisses about his possible "gayness". To which I (and hopefully the American public after tomorrow) will respond...who gives a flying factoid one way or another. Adam Lambert is a star. My only hope is that he can write. If he can come up with his own original words for a few fine tunes, and find a Bernie Laupin to make the music ring, we will have a star on our hands that will last for a good long time.

Having said all that...I do have to mention, that both final contestants had to sing songs chosen by AI producer Simon Fuller tonight. He picked "Change is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke for Adam and (one of my all time personal favorites) "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye for Kris. As talented as these two guys are, neither one of them came close to the originals. It's not their fault...how could they possibly? But I'm glad the songs were chosen because it puts a spotlight on two great African American artists that are no longer with us. And maybe they will get some fresh downloads as a result of this publicity.

Good luck to both of tonight's contestants. Alan Lambert and Kris Alan will have to sort it all out tomorrow, and wonder along with the rest of us....who is the American Idol? How long does it last? Who will get the most downloads? And (most importantly) will anyone still care after Susan Boyle wins "Britain's got Talent"? My fantasy for the Wednesday night finale is for Adam and Kris to sing "Under Pressure", a great 80's song by Freddie Mercury and David Bowie. It would bring down the house.

Note: This post has been updated with a video. It's Adam singing "Mad World" while a water ballet lady swims around blowing bubbles. It's exquisitely weird.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Touche, Jane! From day one we knew Adam was deserving of the Idol title. My bet is on him tonight, especially with the addition of my 8 votes. First time I voted this season, but had to because if Chris wins then I won't be able to complain. Chris gave a valiant effort but I don't think he came close to matching Adam's performances. BTW, brilliant idea for a duet, Jane. This year, our David Cook concert road trip. Next year...Adam Lambert.

Anonymous said...

Above is from me.

Amy said...

Once again, it's Amy. I checked the "name" box.Why does it keep saying Anonymous?

Jane said...

That's really weird that it is not listing your name. Yeah, can you imagine how great it would sound if they did that song? It would favor Adam's voice, of course. I'm bored of Kris, don't think he has the stage presence. He would be forgotten in 15 minutes, but I defy anyone to ever forget Adam. The Pressure is Building!

Jane said...

Where's Scott's American Idol post this week. He is strangely quiet! Calling all Scotts!

Scott said...

I'm just waiting for David Cook to sing "Permanent" tonight and show Adam & Kris how it's done :)
There will be lots of tears. All proceeds from the itunes downloads of tonight's performance go to brain cancer research. As for Adam & Kris, both are extremely talented, and I am certain that Adam will be signed (probably to RCA) immediately, regardless of the outcome. I actually think both will be signed, Kris probably to Jive (like Archie & Jordin). Both will do well, and Adam has the potential to be huge.

Scott said...

Secondarily, if Adam wins, he'll be the first out gay AI winner and I'm all for that! Very glad that Danny Gokey didn't make it. Loved him at first but got bored really fast.... Allison should have come in 3rd IMO. I'm not hugely emotionally invested this year, so I will be neither disapponited nor bummed at the outcome... but I have to say, Adam really deserves it for bringing more of a total package.

Lisa said...

Does Fox actually think they're doing something smart by not allowing clips of the show for people to use? Ridiculous! When will these guys get it? You WANT fans posting about your show, folks -- let the clips flow!

Jane said...

I agree 100% with Lisa's comments about clips. What is especially frustrating, is that Fox Broadcasting could supervise the clips to MySpace Video (fellow NewsCorp company) and let users download them or post to their profiles. Even that is not happening. I don't get it, they know the ratings are going to be super huge no matter what. Why not let the users/viewers love the show and spread it virally?

Judith said...

Obviously you are shocked. Chris should have accepted the victory instead of saying he didn't deserve it.

Amy said...

I assume you were able to post Adam singing from an ITunes download. Where did you get the video and how did you marry the two? I don't understand the proprietary nature of the clips. What is the downside for FOX if it releases the clips? In any case, listening to Adam's voice without seeing him is always the true test of a superstar. Now, on the subject of music but not IDOL, I saw "Glee" last night and enjoyed it. Funny how FOX and MySpace were mentioned. Is that a coincidence? HA

Jane said...

Holy smoke. I guess this really is a reality show. I would have bet a hundred dollars that the producers made the final Idol Winner decision, but it looks like it really is about the teen girl vote. Nobody on earth can text vote faster than a teen girl and since one of them could vote 2500 times if she so desired, the outcome is not surprising. No Judith, I'm not shocked. I'm not even disappointed. Sometimes the non-winners actually fare better in real life.

Anonymous said...

If Adam sang most of the time like he did in Mad World, I could listen to him. As it is..he doesn't, and I can't. I agree he may be more successful because he can do more things...but I don't care for his girly voice nor the screaming. And obviously a lot of people felt the same way. I don't get him being referred to as a rocker when he's never been in a band, played an instrument, written a song. That's not a rocker in my book. Oh well, Like Scott, I don't really care. neither of them hold a candle to DC in the genre of music that I prefer. Wish the best to both of them.
Mary