Sunday, April 26, 2009

I love Susan Boyle

While I don't think for a minute that my strongly insistent emotions for Susan Boyle can rise to the heights achieved by my Flaming Nose comrade Scott over his love for American Idol champion David Cook, I do have to impose some limits here. I think the worldwide sensation that is Susan Boyle deserves even more true love. Susan is, for sure, so far, the most beautifully unlikely entertainment sensation of the Internet age. I have to admit, I stayed away from watching her performance, because anything that could be this widely embraced struck me as suspicious. But I have now watched her showing on Britain's Got Talent numerous times--as have millions of Internet users around the world--and her showing brings me to tears every time. Her appearance on the program is nothing less than the stuff of mythology; it combines music, performance, television direction, and human emotion into a brilliant synthesis.

I could go on and on about the ridiculously lovely--just as she is--Susan Boyle, but I'll keep it to: She's a jaw-dropping phenomenon. I am now desperately looking forward to experiencing this amazing lady's yet-to-be-seen career as a singer, and think it could go untold places. She is, indeed, perhaps the world's heir to Julie Andrews--a singular presence! Here's her interview with Larry King, with show judge Piers Morgan as a guest, too. GOOOOOOOOO, SUUUUSAANNN!!!!

4 comments:

Jane said...

I think she has touched something in hearts and minds of everyone who is just so sick of fake, packaged, size zero, 19 year old celebrity pop stars with plenty of good looks but no talent. We all long for the underdog to make good. Susan is the perfect ray of hope for dreadfully depressing times. So are the dog and elephant that became friends.
Thanks for this nice post Dean!

Jane said...

I have to comment again to point out that the inevitable Susan Boyle backlash has started on the web (today you're lucky to get 15 seconds of fame...much less Andy Warhol's 15 minutes). Two little kids with fairly decent (not great) voices have come onto the Britain's Got Talent show, and it's got the Hogosphere all hot and bothered that Susan has competition. I don't think people understand that there are tons of cute kids that can sort of sing OK. And if they can't, wo what...they are kids. They've got their whole lives ahead of them to figure it out. I'm sick of little kids getting all the glory. Feh! I'm turning into W.C. Fields!

Dean Treadway said...

I don't care if any little tykes get some play. Susan Boyle is OBVIOUSLY the star of the moment, Warhol aside. I never thought I'd be humming a song from LES MISERABLES but I am, thanks to her! Backlash aside, I cannot and will not conceive of a world in which Susan Boyle is not the master of her craft!

Dean Treadway said...

And, might I add, she IS the premier smile-getter of 2009!