Monday, January 12, 2009

Congratulations to the Golden Globe Winners!

Many -- but not all -- Flaming Nose favorites took home awards at last night's Golden Globe ceremony, a sometimes rowdy, sometimes heartfelt affair that has always had the reputation of being a much more fun event than the Oscars. The table arrangement at least fosters the notion that Hollywood is one big nutty if overprivileged family and the informality certainly makes for a more entertaining show.

Television-wise, our favorite AMC's Mad Men took the award for Best Television Series - Drama, probably no surprise with that win, though of course you probably know that creator Matthew Weiner still hasn't yet signed on for another season of the series. This win might loosen the network's purse strings a little more for him, at least.

HBO's TrueBlood got a nice boost from the Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama win of star Anna Paquin, in somewhat of an upset victory but a well-deserved one. Our two favorites Michael C. Hall of Showtime's Dexter and Jon Hamm of Mad Men (last year's winner) both missed out on the Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama when that award went to HBO's In Treatment's Gabriel Byrne, though we did like his performance a lot in that melancholy series.

The unstoppable comedic force that is NBC's 30 Rock took the Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy award, and 30 Rock stars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin both went home with their respective Best Actress and Best Actor in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy GGs, popular wins that will get no argument from us. We love them both.

FN favorite mini HBO's John Adams won, not surprisingly, for Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television, and John Adams co-stars Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney both won for Best Actor and Best Actress, also, repeating their Emmy successes. Their co-star Tom Wilkinson won as Best Performance by a Supporting Actor in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television -- surely one of the most all-encompassing categories ever -- for his turn as Benjamin Franklin. (I still think that Stephen Dillane as Jefferson gave the more subtle and amazing performance, but he wasn't even nominated here and lost the Emmy to Wilkinson, too.)

Steven Spielberg gave a nice speech after winning the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and the clip montage was impressive and reminded us how much entertainment -- as well as gravitas -- he has brought to the big and small screen. I was personally thrilled to see Mickey Rourke win for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama for his amazing work in director Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler, and how often do you get to see a director flip off his star or hear a man offer thanks to his pet dogs, alive and deceased, whom he credited with helping him make it through when he was in a down period of his life? I thought Rourke's tribute to his beloved pooches was heartfelt and very moving, and a very human moment.

We also liked the always cheeky Ricky Gervais chiding the audience and then congratulating Kate Winslet on her win for The Reader, reminding her that during her guest shot on his hilarious series Extras he had touted the advisability of appearing in a Holocaust-themed movie, award-wise. (If you haven't seen this episode, watch it. It's insanely great.)



Overall a decent award show, some good winners, and we'll see how the coming Academy Awards reflect these Golden Globes choices. For the complete list of the winners, nominees, check out the official Hollywood Foreign Press Association website here.

5 comments:

Jane said...

I have to say that in addition to Spielberg's award, the high points for me were definitely Ricky Gervais (who is hands down the funniest person on any award ceremony stage ever). And definitely Mickey Rourke winning and giving tribute to his dogs. I saw The Wrestler over the weekend and was really rooting for him. Everybody loves a comeback story, but for me it's even sweeter when you can see what a hard time he must have had over the past 14 years and yet his talent is as brilliant as ever. I loved that he thanked his dogs, surely a first! And I was also really happy that Bruce Springsteen won for the Wrestler song, which is so sad and beautiful it made me cry at the end of the movie.

I think I might have related to The Wrestler a little bit too much! This business can chew you up and spit you out.

Lisa said...

Well, I really liked "The Wrestler" too and was hoping for him to win, as I wrote in a long love letter to his performance over at the Movie Morlocks blog. I thought he was wonderful, and I saw all the other performances but his was the most touching and honest, I think. I knew that you would be thrilled with the Springsteen song, and it definitely deserved the win. So glad to see the movie was as good as all the buzz it generated. It's a lovely film.
And yes, Gervais is funny and sexy and smart as hell. I love him, too!

Jane said...

Ricky Gervais is the sexiest guy on TV. I know a lot of people don't understand how we can feel this way, but I don't care and I'm not backing down! :) Only Jon Hamm comes close.

It's that combination of dark humor, super smart brainiac commentary and always that wicked, brilliant smile. I love him. Don't even care that he's pudgy, he's the top of the heap pour moi.

Dean Treadway said...

I echo the love for Rourke. His performance in THE WRESTLER is clearly the one to beat at the Oscars, Sean Penn's MILK notwithstanding. It's time to reward the building of a character once again, not the imitation of a real person a la CAPOTE, RAY, ect.

I know, if I were to win an award today, I'd thank my mother and my cats, in that order. So I especially dig Rourke's sout-out to his hounds, which is immanently understandable when it seems everyone in the world has left you high and dry. I think Rourke was robbed of Best Supporting Actor with 1982's DINER, so his win is a long-time comin'.

Dean Treadway said...

And, yes, Ricky Gervais IS sexy for those very reasons, Jane. I can't think of a celebrity I like more.