Monday, May 5, 2008

AI'S FINAL FOUR: THE CHOICES

As American Idol fans eagerly await tomorrow night's episode (and for many of us, it's really a matter of looking forward to what the fabulous Mr. Cook will sing, and how he'll sing it!), I thought this might be fun. I am going to list the songs I would love for each of the four finalists sing; I will also list what think each should sing to win the most votes, and finally, based on my knowledge of these contestants, what they likely will sing. I'm not limiting it to just one song in each category... there could be multiple ones. Then, you all can post comments with your picks.
In some cases answers may be one in the same (i.e. what they should sing and what you want them to sing might be the same thing).

Remember Tuesday's theme: Music that helped shape rock and roll - songs from artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame's website has their list of 500 songs that shaped Rock & Roll, and I think the contests will be selecting from that list. So you should use that as a guide.
Here we go:

DAVID COOK

I would love to hear him sing:
Eric Clapton's "After Midnight"
Eagle's "Hotel California" or "Take it Easy"
Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

I think he should sing:
Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"
Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale"
The Police "Every Breath you Take"

I can't imagine what Cook ultimately will select. I will say he's brilliant at this and will likely choose something he can really belt out, but I think it will likely be a somewhat lesser known song. I don't think he will copy an alternative cover. "Billy Jean" was the last time he did that. His seemingly solid level of confidence has him doing his own arrangements now - a strategy he began using with "Little Sparrow" on Dolly Parton night. It's been all David Cook ever since (although I'm not sure who arranged "Music of the Night), and that has effectively silenced his few critics who thought he ripped off Doxology & Chris Cornell.

DAVID ARCHULETA

I would love to hear him sing:
Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze." (just becuase... what a trip!)

What he should, and probably will sing:
Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge over Troubled Water"


JASON CASTRO

I would love to hear him sing:
REM's "Losing My Religion"
Boston's "More Than a Feeling" (think how different he can make that!)

I think he will likely sing:
Simon and Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence"
Lovin' Spoonful's "Do You Believe in Magic"

I think he should sing:
Anything by Bob Dylan.
Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"
Van Morrison's "Moon Dance"

SYESHA MERCADO

What I would love to hear her sing:
Otis Reading's "(Sitting on) the Dock of the Bay"
Mamas & the Papa's "California Dreamin'"

What she should sing:
Jackie Wilson's "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" Al Green's "Let's Stay Together"

I have no clue what she'll pick. I really don't!

I want to hear what you want them to sing, and what you think they should and/or will sing! Please post your comments!

8 comments:

Jane said...

I wiould like David Cook to sing either "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd or (and I am going way out on a limb here for my fav rock bank in the world) "Listen" by Toad the Wet Sproket. But to be safe, he should probably stick with anything by U2 (Where the Streets Have no Name would work) or Pearl Jam. I'll take anything by Jim Morrison too, but that would be pandering. I don't really care what the others sing except for maybe Syesha. There is an old 70's disco-ish type song called "Too Be Real" that a very talented lady by the name of Cheryl Lynn made a hit. I'd like to hear her sing that.

Scott said...

Jane, good call on the Cook suggestions. I was trying to think of a good fit for him from "The Wall," and I didn't think of "Comfortably Numb," a song my junior/senior year college house mates played to death while getting beyond wasted with our bongs! I think he would do a great job with "Hey You" as well, come to think of it. I loved "Too Be Real." I think that would be a great pick for Syesha.

Scott said...

And by the way, from my previous post you may falsely construe that I didn't partake in our Pink Floyd bong-a-thons, and to set the record straight, I partied with the best of 'em. Could explain a lot about me today.

Amy said...

I think Scott's in love

Amy said...

Not sure what they will sing but this is what they should sing:
Cookie:
"F**k Me Like you Love Me" by Brown Brothers
Syesha:
"Be Without You" by Mary J. Blige
Archie:
"Body Snatchers" by Radiohead
Jason:
"For Once in My Life" by Stevie Wonder (a stretch, perhaps, but if he sings "Do you Believe in Magic" I fear this will be his last performance.

Amy said...

I changed my mind...
Cookie should sing --
"Rock N Roll All Night" by Kiss (a little make-up would be fun)

Scott said...

Amy, I'm just so impressed that you know Radiohead. Then again, you do have a 17 year old daughter! Hip by association! I will give you Mary J. Blige-she's pretty huge. But I do suspect some Corinne influence here, hee hee :-)

amy said...

Actually, Corinne didn't have any input but Michael did, although Mary J. Blige and Radio Head were my ideas...TOTALLY!