Tuesday, April 15, 2008

David Cook Cuts Through the Melismatic Miasma



American Idol. Seven finalists left. Mariah Carey night. Absolutely no reason to review any of their attempts to repeat her blockbusting, five octave, range. Only David Cook came through the fire to perform an amazing 4 star rendition (that sounded nothing whatsoever like Mariah). Thank you DC for allowing me to actually love an MC song for the first time ever. DCXMCsong=JCrating times 10 to the 23rd power. If only (I know...I'm sick of saying it as much as you're sick of hearing it) I had put money on the David ten weeks ago in Vegas when the odds were so good. But that would have required that a) I knew how to contact a Vegas bookie to place a bet and b) that I had any money to place.

Any guy, who can take a Mariah Carey song, and make me not fall asleep on the couch while listening to it, is an amazing talent. He will go as far as he wants to, without limitations, no matter how the AI fans vote. Check out the video and see for yourself.



4 comments:

Lisa said...

Jane, you are SO in love with David Cook! It's adorable! :-)

"Kidbrother" Scott said...

Jane, you are so dead on. I too have become a David Cook fanatic. I think we're both so in love with him! I could become a groupy if given the chance! He caught my attention with "Hello," he won me over with "Eleanor Rigby" and he won my heart with "Billy Jean." Last night just solidified my belief in him! I too am not a huge Mariah Fan. I want to like her more, but I just don't like her music. I think she's always been too hip hop for my tastes, although I do appreciate her 5-octive range. She should try some different material... I've always felt that for me, her song choice is all wrong, but as usual, America disagrees!

Jane said...

Wow....Scott, thanks for making a comment!! Lisa and I live for comment makers! Thanks for taking the time. It is much more fun to post blogs when people leave their opinions.

AmyGthatsme said...

Jane, your American Idol review equation is very clever. Yup, David Cook sure is the real thing. Let's hope the teeny boppers agree and vote him the winner. Like Scott, I'm not a huge Mariah Carey fan and I thought he might bomb with her music this week. As usual, he made it all his own. Bravo!